Senior Extension Associate
Dairy Environmental Systems
Dairy housing systems
Dairy manure management/treatment
Anaerobic digestion systems
Agricultural air emissions
Outreach and Extension Focus
The PRO-DAIRY Dairy Environmental Systems program, works closely with select New York State and U.S. dairy industry leaders to identify, develop, document, and introduce innovative methods in dairy housing and waste management systems to enhance animal performance, animal well-being, system efficiency, environmental compliance and, overall farm profitability. These efforts are accomplished with the overall vision of furthering individual farm and industry-wide sustainability.
Program efforts are accomplished by conducting industry-applied research with the objective of furthering the understanding and development of dairy housing and waste management systems (with current focus on anaerobic digestion) and by monitoring relative research and extension work performed by nation-wide counterparts. Findings are disseminated by conducting on-farm training and demonstrations of new technologies and by developing and delivering written, oral, and web-based materials. Additionally, expertise is provided through educational programs offered by county and regional Cornell Cooperative Extension employees and agri-service and agri-business entities.
Overall, program initiatives have resulted in dairy producers and their advisors being better positioned to make informed business decisions in the areas of cow comfort/well-being, renewable energy, waste (nutrient) management/treatment, and air emissions. Impact indicators are testimonials from dairy producers and their advisors and observed changes in business behavior.
- Gooch, C. A., & Czymmek, K. J. (2011). Dairy Air Emissions Update. Eastern Dairy Business, Sandy Creek, NY.
- Gooch, C. A., Czymmek, K. J., & Mitloehner, (2011). Dairy Air Emissions: what you must know. Hoard's Dairyman.
- Gooch, C. A. (2011). EPA Issues Administrative Reporting Exemption for Some Farms. Eastern Dairy Business, Sandy Creek, NY.
- Gooch, C. A. (2011). What's a Producer to Do Now? Eastern Dairy Business, Sandy Creek, NY.
- Gooch, C. A., Czymmek, K. J., & Mitloehner, F. (2011). Animal Agriculture Air Emissions - Dairy Industry Update..
- Gooch, C. A., & Pronto, J. L. (2011). Evaluation of Seven On-Farm Anaerobic Digestion Systems Based on the ASERTTI Monitoring Protocol: Consolidated Report and Findings. NYSERDA.
- Gooch, C. A., & McFarland, D. F. (2011). Fan Cooling Dairy Cows..
- Gooch, C. A. (2011). Heat Abatement in an Unpredictable Climate..
- Gooch, C. A. (2010). Biogas Casebook: NYS On-farm Anaerobic Digesters. p. 61 web site.
Presentations and Activities
- Heat Stress Abatement in Dairy Animals. Dairy Environmental Systems - Climate Change. October 2014. PRO-DAIRY. Albany, NY.
- Optimizing Cow Comfort Throughout the Barn: A Rebalance for Resiliency. Winter Dairy Management series. February 2014. PRO-DAIRY. Saratoga Springs.
- Cow Comfort Assessment Tools. PRO-DAIRY Operations Managers Conference. January 2014. PRO-DAIRY. Rochester, NY.
- Group Housing Systems Methods to Provide Consistent Air Quality. Calf Congress. December 2013. Western New York Dairy, Livestock and Field Crop Team of Cornell Cooperative Extension. Rochester, NY.
- Dairy derived biogas clean-up options and costs. NY/VT Anaerobic Digester Update Meeting. September 2013. PRO-DAIRY. Albany, NY.
- Nuts and Bolts of Anaerobic Digestion. Small Scale Anaerobic Digester Workshop. August 2013. PRO-DAIRY and WNY Dairy, Livestock, and Field Crops Team. Penn Yan, NY.
- Optimizing Cow Comfort Throughout the Barn: A Rebalance for Resiliency. Winter Dairy Management Series. March 2013. PRO-DAIRY. Mt. Morris, NY.
- Optimizing Cow Comfort Throughout the Barn: A Rebalance for Resiliency. Winter Dairy Management Series. March 2013. PRO-DAIRY. Falconer.
- Optimizing Cow Comfort Throughout the Barn: A Rebalance for Resiliency. Winter Dairy Management Series. March 2013. PRO-DAIRY. Baldwinsville, NY.
- Optimizing Cow Comfort Throughout the Barn: A Rebalance for Resiliency. Winter Dairy Managment Series. February 2013. PRO-DAIRY. Richford Springs, NY.