My research focuses on dairy cattle reproductive physiology, management, and the implications of reproductive performance on the economics of dairy farms. My research integrates basic and applied science to enhance the reproductive performance and productivity of cows. Through the improvement in cow performance, my program intends to improve the economic viability of dairy farms. The basic physiology research in my laboratory focuses on the elucidation of physiological mechanisms controlling the establishment and maintenance of pregnancy, and understanding the implications of pregnancy loss on ovarian dynamics, fertility, and reproductive performance of dairy cattle. In addition, my applied program is focused on developing new and simplifying established reproductive and health management programs for dairy cattle and the integration of new technologies in dairy cattle management.
- Giordano, J. O., Thomas , M. J., Catucuamba, G., Curler, M. D., Masello, M., Stangaferro, M. L., & Wijma, R. (2016). Reproductive management strategies to improve the fertility of cows with a suboptimal response to resynchronization of ovulation. Journal of Dairy Science. 99:1-12.
- Giordano, J. O., Stangaferro, M. L., Wijma, R., Chandler, W. c., & Watters, R. D. (2015). Reproductive performance of dairy cows managed with a program aimed at increasing insemination of cows in estrus based on increased physical activity and fertility of timed artificial inseminations. Journal of Dairy Science. 98:1-14.
- Fricke, P. M., Giordano, J., Valenza, A., Lopes, G., Amundson, M. C., & Carvalho, P. D. (2014). Reproductive performance of lactating dairy cows managed for first service using timed artificial insemination with or without detection of estrus using an activity-monitoring system. Journal of Dairy Science. 97:2771-81.
- Giordano, J., Fricke, P. M., & Cabrera, V. E. (2013). Economics of resynchronization strategies including chemical tests to identify nonpregnant cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 96:949-961.
- Giordano, J., Wiltbank, M. C., Fricke, P. M., Bas, S., Pawlisch, R., Guenther, J. N., & Nascimento, A. B. (2013). Effect of increasing GnRH and PGF2_ dose during Double-Ovsynch on ovulatory response, luteal regression, and fertility of lactating dairy cows. Theriogenology. 80:773-783.
- Lopes, G., Giordano, J., Valenza, A., Herlihy, M. M., Guenther, J. N., Wiltbank, M. C., & Fricke, P. M. (2013). Effect of timing of initiation of resynchronization and presynchronization with gonadotropin-releasing hormone on fertility of resynchronized inseminations in lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 96:3788-3798.
- Giordano, J., Edwards, J. L., Di Croce, F. A., Roper, D., Rohrbach, N. R., Saxton, A. M., Schuenemann, G. M., Prado, T. M., & Schrick, F. N. (2013). Ovulatory follicle dysfunction in lactating dairy cows after treatment with Folltropin-V at the onset of luteolysis. Theriogenology. 79:1210-1217.
- Pereira, R. V., Caixeta, L. S., Giordano, J., Guard, C. L., Bicalho, R. C., & Giordano, J. O. (2013). Reproductive performance of dairy cows resynchronized after pregnancy diagnosis at 31 ± 3 d after AI compared to resynchronization at 31 ± 3 d after AI with pregnancy diagnosis at 38 ± 3 d after AI. Journal of Dairy Science. 96:#N/A.
- Bilby, T. R., Bruno, R. G., Lager, K. J., Chebel, R. C., Moraes, J. G., Fricke, P. M., Lopes, G., Giordano, J., Santos, J. E., Lima, F. S., Stevenson, J. S., & Pulley, S. L. (2013). Supplemental progesterone and timing of resynchronization on pregnancy outcomes in lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 96:7032-7042.
- Valenza, A., Giordano, J., Lopes, G. J., Vincenti, L., Amundson, M. C., & Fricke., P. M. (2012). Assessment of an accelerometer system for detection of estrus and treatment with gonadotropin-releasing hormone at the time of insemination in lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 95:7115-7127.
Presentations and Activities
- Reproductive Physiology and Management of Dairy Cattle. Alta Genetics Dairy Manager School for Spanish speaking managers. July 2017. Alta Genetics.
- Update on reproductive physiology and reproductive management programs of lactating dairy cows. Technical services training program. Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica. June 2017.
- Integrating automated detection of estrus in reproductive management programs for dairy cattle. Precision Dairy Management Conference. May 2017.
- Reproductive Physiology and Management of Dairy Cattle. Alta Genetics Dairy Manager School for Spanish speaking managers. May 2017. Alta Genetics.
- Current reproductive management strategies for dairy cattle. Eastern New York Dairy Day. March 2017. Cornell Cooperative Extension. Cooperstown, NY.
- Practical aspects of reproductive physiology. Eastern New York Dairy Day. March 2017. Cornell Cooperative Extension. Cooperstown, NY.
- Automating Health Monitoring in Dairy Farms. Ohio Dairy Health and Management Certificate Program. February 2017. The Ohio State University.
- Evaluation of Reproductive Performance Records in Dairy Herds. Ohio Dairy Health and Management Certificate Program. February 2017. The Ohio State University.
- Automating Reproductive and Health Management in Dairy Farms. GEA Technologies technical services team training program. January 2017. GEA Technologies.
- Reproductive Management of Cows Based on Ovarian Status. European College of Bovine Health Management Webinars. December 2016. European College of Bovine Health Management.